Are you looking for an opportunity to work at the cutting edge of public service reform? If yes, then joining Mutual Ventures could be the right move for you.
We are seeking highly-professional, self-motivated and ambitious individual to join our successful and growing team. Experience of working in a consultancy environment and/or with public services is highly desirable. Our offices are in London.
Consultant role: Full-Time Permanent – Salary range – £35-50k (depending on experience) plus bonus and benefits. Our consultants generally have between 2 and 5 years’ experience and we are particularly interested to receive applications from candidates who have worked in public sector consulting.
What we do
Operating nationally, Mutual Ventures is a growing, socially-focused consultancy with a big reputation. Our approach is based on our knowledge and commitment to public services and a ‘can do’ spirit which our clients (mostly central government, councils and the NHS) believe sets us apart from other consultancies.
We have built our reputation on designing and implementing innovative and entrepreneurial new delivery models for public services which enable them to be more “business like” whilst maintaining a strong public service ethos. These new delivery models have usually taken the form of publicly-owned or independent social enterprises e.g. an adult social care service operating as a staff-owned mutual or an entire children’s services function moving to a publicly-owned new company.
But our service offering is much wider than this… We support senior leaders and commissioners to develop overarching Strategies for services. Our team provides Service Transformation and Performance Improvement advice to design and implement the best systems and practice. We also work with established organisations who deliver public services (like charities and social enterprises) to help them grow through winning new contracts, partnership working, investment or demonstrating impact.
Working independently or as part of a team, our Consultants can expect to be involved in a range of projects at any one time, providing hands-on support to clients. Consultancy is essentially entrepreneurial in nature and project-based and the day-to-day activities are often complex and varied.
Our projects vary in length and size and the demands of the client. You may be working with a large degree of independence or as part of a wider team. Your work can be based at our office, at a single client site or across several sites and work may involve travel and the possibility of overnight stays within the UK. Whilst we operate flexible working, as a Consultant we would expect you to be either at the MV office or on client site the vast majority of your working time to enable you to interact with and learn from colleagues. You will have the opportunity to discuss this with your line manager.
Consultants are expected to meet the reasonable requirements of any project - but typical tasks and responsibilities include:
- Supporting the management of projects and programmes;
- Understanding relevant contractual delivery requirements;
- Carrying out research and data collection;
- Preparation and interpretation of numerical and statistical data;
- Undertaking in-depth analysis of business issues in order to provide evidence based recommendations;
- Conducting exploratory interviews with client’s employees, management teams and other stakeholders;
- Communicating ideas effectively one-on-one and in small groups, with tact and sensitivity both with and without visual aids and in a variety of meeting environments;
- Preparing objective reports with a clear and consistent argument based on analysis, and suitable for a targeted audience;
- Understanding and making use of all appropriate MV tools and methodologies;
- Developing and maintaining successful working relationships with clients, partners and colleagues;
- Developing/demonstrating a thorough understanding of the main delivery and partnership models that operate across the public sector marketplace;
- Using non-chargeable time to enhance Mutual Ventures’ capability to win and carry out consulting work - including contributes to proposals;
- Demonstrating broad understanding of major themes in public sector reform – including attending external events/presentations to broaden sector knowledge then sharing this knowledge with the team;
- Supporting the performance management process, participating in a timely manner.
We require our entry level Consultants to have the following skills, experience and attitudes:
- a good degree or equivalent with at least two years’ experience either working with public services, in the third sector and/or in a management consultancy environment;
- A genuine passion for public services;
- Be able to confidently interpret numerical and statistical evidence;
- Have some experience in project management, business planning and financial modelling processes;
- Be comfortable undertaking in-depth analysis of business issues in order to provide evidence based recommendations;
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to make practical recommendations based on competent analysis of the best available evidence;
- Be able to present and facilitate confidently – both with and without visual aids – in a small meeting environment;
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and be able to demonstrate experience of writing objective, concise and clear reports;
- Have experience of maintaining successful working relationships;
- Be comfortable with travel and the possibility of overnight stays within the UK - at times this could be two/three nights a week.
How to Apply
Closing date for applications is 3rd August - but we will start interviewing as soon as we receive applications from suitable candidates
Please send a CV and a cover letter clearly setting out your interest in our work and why you are right for this role to:email@example.com reference number:TCC201807