Would you like to be part of a dynamic company, with the energy and opportunities of a start-up – but which competes with the ‘Big 4’ for clients?
Do you enjoy thinking and acting strategically, using data-driven insights to support the delivery of projects and portfolios of work?
Do you want to play a fundamental role in making things happen?
Their client are a small but fast-growing consultancy, with clients and partners across the criminal justice sector, local authorities, charities, and a range of private sector organisations in areas such as financial services and technology. They help their clients transform their organisations and the way they deliver services.
They are looking for ambitious and keen people with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills to join our friendly and high-performing team. They need people who are organised, have great attention to detail and who can deliver a high-quality service for their clients.
Your role will be to support the delivery of a number of projects by monitoring and reporting on project progress and analysing project risks, issues, assumptions and dependencies. You will support Project Teams in ensuring that projects are effectively planned, controlled and managed to agreed time, specification and budget.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in some cutting-edge projects and to build on your existing skills, working with small teams of energetic, intelligent and creative people.
They have a comprehensive and successful development programme to help you build the skills you need to operate at an even higher level and a senior team with wide-ranging experiences to coach and share ideas with you.
They are looking for someone who is proactive, enjoys working as part of a busy team, and has great written and verbal communication skills. You will be a proficient user of Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint). Experience of using MS Project, Asana (Task Management Tool), and Jira would be an advantage.
In return they will offer you an exciting opportunity to support our team as they work on some fascinating assignments with our clients from across the Government, not for profit and private sectors.
This is a very exciting position for the right candidate who is passionate about high standards, enjoys variety and is good at getting things done. They can promise that the work will be varied and will give you lots of opportunities to develop your skills.
Prepare for, run, and follow-up checkpoint meetings and stand-ups
- Review tasks, activities and milestones that are due from the project plan and flag dependencies in the RAID Log which need to be tracked and/or managed. Collate this information and present it to the Project Manager and Team.
- Review actions from the RAID log that need to be progressed and follow up progress with the relevant people.
- At the checkpoint meetings present and review a forward look of tasks, activities, milestones, and deliverables, including managing the product / project backlog. Support the Project Manager in agreeing and clarifying new actions. Record actions, decisions and assumptions, and any new risks or issues.
- Follow up checkpoint meetings by raising new actions, making updates to the project plan, updating the RAID log, and maintaining Jira.
Organise and prepare for project meetings and Agile 'ceremonies'
- Organise regular project meetings and workshops. Send invitations to people as appropriate. Make sure the equipment and room(s) are ready.
- Check that arrangements are in place for key project meetings.
Maintain project plans and key project documents (including RAID log)
- Make updates and changes to the ‘master’ version of the project plan in Microsoft Project (MPP).
- Check when tasks and milestones are due by referring to the project plan.
- Maintain the RAID log under the direction of the Project Manager, e.g. add or refine Risks, Assumptions, Issues and Dependencies, close Risks where appropriate, add and update actions, check actions are being progressed.
- Maintain a project document library on SharePoint using correct version control – make sure this is kept up to date and is properly organised.
Monitor progress and produce Highlight Reports
- Review actions, activities, milestones that are due from the MPP; and review actions from the RAID log which need to be progressed. Follow up progress with relevant people. Collate this information into the agreed format for Highlight Reports.
- Share Highlight Reports with the Project Manager and Team before sending on to the client.
Manage and track project actions
- Create new actions and tasks in Asana and assign them (often this will be agreed in the Checkpoint meetings – you’ll need to capture details during the meetings and then raise them later on)
- Manage Asana – make sure it is well organised, chase people on updating the status of their tasks, flag any areas of concern
Support the Project Manager with Resource Planning
- Identity resource needs
- Allocate resources to tasks and track resources using the agreed tools
- Report actual resource utilisation against planned resource, in the agreed format
- Write up packages of work
Maintain a Product Backlog
- Maintain a Product Backlog (in Jira) by raising or adding detail to Jira issues relating to requirements and enhancements (under the discretion of the Project Manager and relevant members of the Project Team)
- Use Jira to support defect management by raising or adding detail to Jira issues relating to bugs and defects (under the discretion of the Project Manager and relevant members of the Project Team)
What we are looking for
You’ll need to have an inquiring mind and have excellent problem-solving and analytical skills. You will be a great communicator and have strong attention to detail. You’ll also need to be good at working with other people, well organised and able to think on your feet. A positive outlook, enthusiasm and willingness to learn are essential.
You’ll have experience in a PMO environment. You’ll have built up strong skills in tracking the progress of projects and in monitoring risks, issues, assumptions and dependencies. You’ll be able to think and act strategically, using data-driven insights to track the progress of actions, risks, issues, and project deliverables and to help manage the product backlog.
Prior experience of working in a government setting would be advantageous as well as experience of working on technology or software development projects.
Their team have experience of working within a range of industries and sectors and bring a diverse set of skills and experiences. Some of the qualities that contribute to their success in our Company include the ability to apply their skills and experience to a wide range of areas, to pick things up quickly, and to grapple with unknowns and ambiguity.
You will be a proficient user of Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint). Experience of using MS Project, Asana, and Jira or similar tools would be an advantage.
You will need to be articulate, with good written and verbal communication skills and an excellent standard of both spoken and written English.
You will need SC Security Clearance for this role or willing and eligible to apply for it.
You’ll be good at:
- Gathering and interpreting information from a range of sources including Checkpoint meetings, stakeholders, the Project Manager and Project Team
- Working in an agile way – either through experience of working on specific agile or digital projects, or from taking a flexible and adaptive approach on projects more generally
- Accurately updating information including Project Plans, RAID Logs, and other key project deliverables
- Presenting the information you have gathered and analysed in a way that is clear and easy to understand
- Working with other people to track progress of actions, issues, risks and dependencies. Chasing them for updates.
This is a very exciting role for the right candidate who is passionate about making things happen.
They can promise that the work will be varied and interesting, and will give you lots of opportunities to develop and grow. They will help you learn and develop, and there is real scope for you to shape the future direction of the company, by taking responsibility for shaping our services, developing our ways of working and marketing what we can do.
In return they will offer a competitive package, and the chance to work on some fascinating assignments with our clients from across the government, not-for-profit and private sectors.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply by email to this position, please send your CV and covering letter to the following link:Send your CV toTCrichard@mindbench.co.uk
NB: Mindbench is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy