- Great opportunity to contribute practically to a low carbon energy transition.
- Helping over 1 million energy customers across the GB.
About Our Client
Established in 2016 our client was specifically set-up with the sole purpose of finding an industry-wide solution for smart metering in hard-to-reach houses, apartment blocks and commercial premises. Specifically, where the broadcast signal from a smart meter communications hub is not strong enough to reach the gas meter or smart devices in the home. This problem affects around 5% of premises - and if not addressed could leave behind more than a million customers in the transition to a smarter, low-carbon energy sector.
Now entering a critical phase of delivering on their mission we have the privilege of helping them identify an excellent Technical Director that can manage vendor relationships to design and develop the smart metering solutions that will alleviate this problem with the intention of having products market ready 2021.
Working as part of a collaborative Senior Management Team the key aspect of this role will be to hold the Technology vendors to account during design, testing, manufacture and development of smart metering communications products and services for the business.
Key accountabilities include:
- Developing and implementing the Technical function strategy and plan which will include the recruitment and subsequent leadership of a strong team.
- Ownership of all technical processes and the opportunity to build the functional capability of the Technical Directorate from scratch to deliver above strategy.
- The proactive management of asset risks, including device monitoring, replacement parts, firmware updates and asset disposal.
- Establish measures and initiate appropriate data gathering in order to make technical interventions that are timely and preventative.
- Monitoring training, manufacturing and installation quality against established standards
- Managing the ideation, development and testing of product enhancements or updates.
The Successful Applicant
We are looking for a collaborative leader who takes pride in building diverse, inclusive teams to deliver business goals. Ideally this will be combined with a personal interest in or passion for home area network smart metering systems or other wireless network technologies. An experienced senior technical manager you will come with a track record in partnering with, and occasionally driving, Technology vendors to reach ambitious goals within wireless communications or metering hardware - ideally across the lifecycle of design, manufacturing, testing and operation of the equipment.
As the business is still in growth mode you will be used to a degree of ambiguity and an outcome focused approach. At times, this may mean throwing yourself into unfamiliar terrain so an entrepreneurial mind-set or can-do attitude is certainly advantageous! Key must haves include:
- Sufficient technical know-how, experience and understanding to oversee and assure a reliable and robust product
- Significant and relevant experience of working in a technical development environment at a Senior level, with a strong track record in the management, planning and plan execution of technical products and services through the entire lifecycle from design and manufacture to testing and operation.
- An in-depth knowledge of best practice technical specifications management, asset risk management, manufacturing management and installation management.
- The ability to deep dive into technical issues that may arise in design, manufacturing, testing or operations as appropriate
- Experience of monitoring the outputs of outsourced service providers, ensuring the quality and timeliness of service delivery.
- Demonstrable experience in engaging, influencing and persuading a diverse group of industry players and other stakeholders, building critical relationships to get positive results
- Strong intellect with outstanding analytical abilities and the capability to solve complex problems and manage risk to achieve the right outcome; and
- Professionally qualified in Electronic or Electrical Engineering ideally as a Fellow of the appropriate Professional body
- Strong background within smart metering hardware or wireless communications
What's on Offer
- The chance to make a tangible contribution to a growing business, giving you the opportunity to learn far more from an operational/entrepreneurial perspective than is possible with some larger organisation
- The opportunity to work within a critical technical development area in the transition to smart, low carbon energy, overseeing the development of technologies that all energy suppliers may need to rely on
- A pragmatic and expert team around you, that come with a broad range of business and personal experiences for you to leverage and add to
- Be in a high-profile role that will provide access to a network of other stakeholders, including Energy Suppliers, Government (BEIS) and Energy regulatory bodies (Ofgem). This is a wonderful opportunity to enhance your reputation within the energy community
- Become part of an ambitious leadership team that seeks to be the provider of choice for future associated smart energy initiatives that require collective action.
- Make the transition to a low carbon energy sector a socially inclusive reality.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPFE14102114Z
How to apply
Email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Page Executive is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy