Are you looking for an opportunity to work at the cutting edge of public service reform? If yes, then joining Mutual Ventures could be the right move for you.
We are seeking highly-professional, self-motivated and ambitious individuals to join our successful and growing team. The work we do is very challenging and requires a mix of technical and relationship management skills.
Experience of working in a public sector consultancy environment is essential. Service areas of particular interest include: NHS; adult social care; children's services; and other council services.
Working at MV is a different experience to working at a larger consultancy or in the public sector. We empower and trust our team to make decisions and take responsibility for their own work – but we also act as a tight knit team providing support to each other. We are a genuine meritocracy and everyone’s ideas are encouraged and valued. You will also get the benefit of being part of our decision-making process e.g. deciding on new markets we should move into.
What we do
Operating nationally, Mutual Ventures is a growing, socially-focused consultancy with a big reputation. Our approach is based on our knowledge and commitment to public services and a ‘can do’ spirit which our clients (mostly central government, councils and the NHS) believe sets us apart from other consultancies.
We have built our reputation on designing and implementing innovative and entrepreneurial new delivery models for public services which enable them to be more “business like” whilst maintaining a strong public service ethos. These new delivery models have usually taken the form of publicly-owned or independent social enterprises e.g. an adult social care service operating as a staff-owned mutual or an entire children’s services function moving to a publicly-owned new company.
But our service offering is much wider than this… We support senior leaders and commissioners to develop overarching Strategies for services. Our team provides Service Transformation and Performance Improvement advice to design and implement the best systems and practice. We also work with established organisations who deliver public services (like charities and social enterprises) to help them grow through winning new contracts, partnership working, investment or demonstrating impact.
Working independently or as part of a team, our Senior Consultants can expect to lead and be involved in a range of projects at any one time, providing hands-on support to clients and support and guidance to team members. Consultancy is essentially entrepreneurial in nature and project-based and the day-to-day activities are often complex and varied.
Our projects vary in length and size, as do the demands of the client. You may be working with a large degree of independence or as part of a wider team. Your work can be based at our office, at a single client site or across several sites and work may involve travel and the possibility of overnight stays within the UK.
Senior Consultants are expected to meet the reasonable requirements of any project - but typical tasks and responsibilities include:
- Managing small/medium scale projects (i.e. 2-3 staff, usually up to £100k - but can be more over a longer period of time), delivering on time and to budget. Using project management methodologies, being fully aware of the contract requirements and responding to client demands accordingly;
- Understanding all the project deliverables and managing the delivery of any aspect as required. Ensuring all deliverables produced by the MV team are to required standards and timing;
- Developing strong working relationships with senior clients, building confidence and trust;
- Raising issues and challenging client thinking - building consensus and resolving conflict;
- Communicating ideas clearly and effectively one-on-one and in groups, with tact and sensitivity both with and without visual aids and in a variety of meeting environments;
- Leading the development of new tools, methodologies and innovative solutions that add value for our clients. Guiding the team in their use;
- Making competent analysis of complex data - both hard and soft - evaluating different sources of information and reconciling conflicting or ambiguous data;
- Leading the development of written reports that add insight and/or resolution to client issues;
- Quality assuring individual pieces of work carried out by other team members, providing good feedback and guidance. Using our delivery assurance tools to assure engagements are managed effectively;
- Identifying opportunities to market and sell services to new and existing clients;
- Leading the production of proposals in response to invitations to tender and writes expressions of interest;
- Acting as a coach and mentor, providing expertise, guidance, support and regular feedback to others. Providing timely and constructive feedback to those he/she is managing. Supporting and encouraging all MV team members to manage their work life balance;
- Forging productive working relationships with partners and being alert to opportunities for joint working. Being alert to potential conflict with partners, seeking to resolve issues or refer upwards;
- Understanding key developments in a specific public service area (i.e. health, children's services etc.) and translating this knowledge into market opportunities;
- Attending external events/presentations to broaden sector knowledge then sharing this knowledge with the team.
We require our Senior Consultants to have the following skills, experience and attitudes:
- A good degree or equivalent with at least five years’ experience either working with public services and/or in a management consultancy environment;
- A genuine passion for public services;
- Experience of managing projects and teams as well as building successful relationships with senior clients and delivery partners;
- Experience of delivering strategic advice to senior clients;
- Experience in business case development, business planning and financial modelling;
- An ability to interpret complex data (both hard and soft data, including numerical and statistical information);
- Well-developed leadership, coaching and mentoring skills;
- Strong networking and business development skills, including the production of successful bids and proposals;
- A detailed understanding of the major themes in public service reform;
- Well-developed facilitation and presenting skills - to small and large groups;
- The ability to work effectively under pressure, recognising when it is appropriate to seek help or to delegate;
- An ability to deal positively with change and prioritise and manage simultaneous demands;
- The ability to recover quickly from setbacks and disappointments;
- Be comfortable with travel and the possibility of overnight stays within the UK - at times this could be two/three nights a week.
How to apply:
Does this sound like the right move for you? If so, please email your CV and a cover letter setting out your interest in our work and why you are right for this role to: email@example.com